collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Striker Debate: Should it be Watkins or Duran or Both ? by ChicagoLion
[Today at 04:31:51 PM]

The moist-eyed return by Morleys left boot
[Today at 04:26:47 PM]

Wycombe Wanderers by Dogtanian
[Today at 04:22:46 PM]

MOTD by eamonn
[Today at 04:22:34 PM]

Unai Emery by Border villan
[Today at 04:17:58 PM]

Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:10:43 PM]

Aston Villa vs Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre-Match Thread by stevo_st
[Today at 03:54:14 PM]

Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread by cdbearsfan
[Today at 03:43:21 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Striker Debate: Should it be Watkins or Duran or Both ? by ChicagoLion
[Today at 04:31:51 PM]

Re: The moist-eyed return by Morleys left boot
[Today at 04:26:47 PM]

Re: Wycombe Wanderers by Dogtanian
[Today at 04:22:46 PM]

Re: MOTD by eamonn
[Today at 04:22:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery by Border villan
[Today at 04:17:58 PM]

Re: Wycombe Wanderers by Holte L2
[Today at 04:17:33 PM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:10:43 PM]

Re: Unai Emery by Toronto Villa
[Today at 04:03:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Shaw - RIP  (Read 31661 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Gary Shaw - RIP
« Reply #360 on: September 16, 2024, 05:00:53 PM »
It was generally harder to win a cap back then, although it was ridiculous they took Gary to Australia and then never played him.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #361 on: September 16, 2024, 05:17:30 PM »
Apart from the fact that he wasn't playing for a London club, I think the reason he didn't win England caps was because he was considered to be first and foremost a penalty box finisher - a nonsense really, when you look at the part he played in goals for others, notably Withe v Bayern, Mortimer v Liverpool, and Morley v Everton.

Offline Tony Daleys Shorts

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #362 on: September 16, 2024, 05:18:07 PM »
Like many of us born in the early-mid seventies he was my first Villa hero. Had a number 8 sewn onto the back of my first Villa kit. I had blonde hair like Gary, every time I kicked a ball about with mates, I was, in my mind Gary Shaw.

Thanks for the memories Gary, rest well you beautiful man.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #363 on: September 16, 2024, 05:19:02 PM »
I think the team were too focused on winning trophies to lower themselves to play internationals.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #364 on: September 16, 2024, 05:45:31 PM »
He was before my time but having read all the comments from those that watched him from the stands at Villa park and met him in person, it appears he was quite the man, living the dream, our dream.

RIP HEITS

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #365 on: September 16, 2024, 05:47:24 PM »
We've lost far too many too early, and lost some that were amazing Villa men and human beings but none have upset me as much as this.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #366 on: September 16, 2024, 05:59:16 PM »
Can anyone recommend interviews/podcasts he gave in recent years? Was he a little shy? Doesn't tally with all the things I'm reading but I can't recall him doing interviews or co-comms on the in-house channel like Tony Morley, Ken McNaught etc.

Also, if it's a minute's applause on Saturday, I hope they show some of his best goals on the big screens. Let Durán, Ollie etc. know just how privileged they are.

Offline PhilVill

« Reply #367 on: September 16, 2024, 05:59:24 PM »
I'm so sad he never got to see us back in the European Cup, fabulous player and man. Rest easy big man...

Online Morleys left boot

« Reply #368 on: September 16, 2024, 06:02:36 PM »
Absolutely gutted to hear this terrible news ,yesterday i still had everything crossed for him to make a recovery, remember watching him in the early days with a couple of mates we couldn’t believe we had such a player
You know when they’re a legend because you always want to be him when you had a kick about on the local green
God bless you Gary, Rest in Peace .

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #369 on: September 16, 2024, 06:03:31 PM »

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #370 on: September 16, 2024, 06:05:08 PM »
Henry Winter

Gary Shaw – a tribute. Shaw, who has passed away aged 63, played the game the way it should be played. The Aston Villa attacker played with flair, an unquenchable hunger for goals, commitment to team and loyalty to club. He played to win, conquering England in 1981 and Europe in 1982, and he did it in style. Shaw’s finishing was not only about the quantity, 79 goals in 213 games for the Villa, but also the quality.

Shaw was fleet of mind and body, able to sense the best positions to glide into, whether holding his run to the edge of the area for a cutback and strike with either foot or darting to the near-post for a poacher’s finish with head or foot. He could stun a ball speeding in, flick it up, juggle it and volley it in, all under pressure from a merciless centre-half and on pitches that sometimes looked more suited to ploughing than pillaging goals.

And he scored vital goals. It feels like only yesterday, rather than 42 years ago, that Shaw was dribbling through Dinamo Kyiv’s defence and scoring with a low left-footed shot from the tightest of angles at Villa Park in 1982. It was not only a brilliant strike but hugely significant in Villa’s run to European glory.

So many fine finishes: running on to Dennis Mortimer’s through pass and driving the ball through Jim Platt’s legs at Middlesbrough in 1980; and gambling on a David Geddis flicked shot coming back off the post, falling to his right, connecting with his left in 1980 at Villa Park in the 3-0 Derby win over Blues – that athleticism and positioning again.

Shaw could link and create and finish, famously against Nottingham Forest in 1981, dropping deep and taking the ball from Morley, loaning it to Geddis, then giving it to Mortimer in the centre-circle and ghosting into the area. Kenny Swain, released by Mortimer, crossed low and hard from the right, Shaw timed his run to perfection, meeting it first time. A bad knee injury in 1983 lessened his impact but his mind was still sharp, taking him into the right positions. When Paul Rideout nodded down against West Brom in 1984, Shaw pounced.

For Villa fans, he was “one of our own”. For the rest of us admiring from afar, Shaw was a Boy’s Own hero, prolific and photogenic, the PFA Young Player of the Year, then European Young Footballer of the Year. Shaw would be worth a fortune in the modern era. His versatility would be highly prized. He could play as a second striker, centre-forward, even wide.

His partnership with Peter Withe was the proverbial rapier and broadsword, silk and steel. They cut a swathe through opposition defences. The photo of Shaw and Withe holding the 1982 European Cup above Morley and placing it on his head remains an iconic image and embodied Villa’s attacking approach. That year, Shaw made the 40-strong long-list for the World Cup but was eventually overlooked by Ron Greenwood. He ended up with just Under-21 caps, and only seven of them, crazy really, given his calibre.

Shaw’s impact felt even more uplifting because it was a counterpoint to the mood of the country at the time. With the dark clouds of unemployment, strikes and bombs in London parks scurrying across the landscape, a glamourous footballer who scored fabulous goals brought hope as well as joy.

Villa have lost a legend and English football has lost a player who lit up the 80s. His family have lost someone very special. Shaw was a very likeable and down-to-earth human being even to those of us who only encountered him briefly in the Villa Park press room. Just a really approachable guy. My thoughts with Gary Shaw’s family, friends and former team-mates. RIP.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #371 on: September 16, 2024, 06:07:17 PM »
This almost seems worse now, after the brief bit of hope last night. Rest in peace Gary, one of the greats.

Offline Georgewhitt

« Reply #372 on: September 16, 2024, 06:08:35 PM »
Hi.
Sunderland fan here.
Just want to offer my sympathy with you all for the sad loss of Gary Shaw.
He was a magnificent young player, and lost to the game as a player way to young.
RIP Mr Shaw.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #373 on: September 16, 2024, 06:12:03 PM »

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #374 on: September 16, 2024, 06:15:37 PM »
Gone too soon. Holte Ender in the Sky. God Bless you Gary.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal