collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: John McGinn by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:49:36 PM]

Re: John McGinn by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 10:43:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2024/25 by AV84
[Today at 10:34:31 PM]

Re: John McGinn by purpletrousers
[Today at 10:28:08 PM]

Re: The International Cricket Thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:08:57 PM]

Re: Champions League by cdbearsfan
[Today at 10:07:58 PM]

Re: Champions League by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:05:55 PM]

Re: Champions League by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:03:02 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Shaw - RIP  (Read 32182 times)

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
Re: Gary Shaw - RIP
« Reply #330 on: September 16, 2024, 02:54:46 PM »
He was only 4 years older than me, I'm gutted. 1980 to 1982 will forever be etched on my mind as I saw him in his prime. RIP Gary.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #331 on: September 16, 2024, 03:02:26 PM »
What a kick in the teeth this is. The word “legend” is put around way too much these days but Gary Shaw was one.
One of my hero’s who I worshipped as a young
lad standing on the Holte. A league winner, a European Champion, a European Super Cup winner and a young European player of the season.
This doesn’t appear real at the moment as in my
mind he’s still that young, blond haired Villa supporter playing in the best Villa side I’ve ever seen. A supreme player who lived us as much as we loved him.
He’s a massive loss to our club and I’m absolutely gutted.
God bless legend and thanks for the memories I’ll take to my grave.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #332 on: September 16, 2024, 03:03:09 PM »
{alt}
Saw all his home games and some of the away we always chanted his name and he was always bound to score.
Great player great person
RIP

HEITS X
[/quote]

I'm sure the song will get one last airing during the minute's applause for him on Saturday.

Was born in 1980, so missed what turned out to be the peak of a career sadly cut short by injury.  Me and my brother's first pets (two goldfish) were called Peter Withe and Gary Shaw though, so he'd made an impression even at that early age.

Met him a couple of times in person over the years and would echo what others have said here, seemed like a genuinely nice bloke who had time for others.

Adds some real poignancy to the opening Champions League fixture at Villa Park given the opposition. 

Offline Coop

« Reply #333 on: September 16, 2024, 03:04:24 PM »
I've been desperately hoping for positive news all weekend. Saw the confirmation on Midlands Today, and it's hard to keep the tears back. So very sad to lose one of the golden generation at such a comparatively early age (2 years my senior). I count myself lucky to have watched him throughout his Villa career (including the night of nights), and to have met him a couple of years ago.

RIP Shawy. My sincere condolences to all friends and family. HEITS

Offline Weedy

« Reply #334 on: September 16, 2024, 03:16:33 PM »
RIP Gary.
Thanks for the great memories.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #335 on: September 16, 2024, 03:18:46 PM »
Those of us who are a similar age to Gary Shaw wished that we were as blessed with his talent and had a footballing career that emulated the same. He was the David Watts (The Jam) of our football world.  We didn't envy him, we loved him and wanted to be him doing it for our club the way he was. Of all the former heroes that have left us his is affecting me more than any, I feel sick in my stomach now that this has hit home.   

Offline steamer

« Reply #336 on: September 16, 2024, 03:23:42 PM »
Last nights premature relief blown away today.
Many great posts. Will always be the blonde haired Villa fan who won the prize and was really, "one of our own"
Deepest condolences to the family.

Online Scovilla

« Reply #337 on: September 16, 2024, 03:26:05 PM »
Those of us who are a similar age to Gary Shaw wished that we were as blessed with his talent and had a footballing career that emulated the same. He was the David Watts (The Jam) of our football world.  We didn't envy him, we loved him and wanted to be him doing it for our club the way he was. Of all the former heroes that have left us his is affecting me more than any, I feel sick in my stomach now that this has hit home.   
This is exactly how I feel now.
Really sad news.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2025
« Reply #338 on: September 16, 2024, 03:29:45 PM »
Absolutely devastating news, thanks Gary for everything you did for our great club, particularly the major part you played in us winning the league and EC.

RIP Gary legend

Offline Ricky

• GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #339 on: September 16, 2024, 03:33:17 PM »
A life well lived.  RIP Gary.

Online tricky dicky

« Reply #340 on: September 16, 2024, 03:35:17 PM »
RIP Gary a true legend I was glad my grandson had a photo with you last season god bless HEITS

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #341 on: September 16, 2024, 03:36:19 PM »
Oh bugger.
The thing about Gary was he was such a talented footballer and Villa legend b was always just a decent bloke when you met him.
Spent the 2018 play-off final with him and he was just great to be around even though we lost,
Have a treasured photo with him from that day.
Sharing the grief with the Villa family makes it a bit easier.

Offline Whiney MacWhineface

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #342 on: September 16, 2024, 03:39:52 PM »
I first saw him as one of the runners up to Crystal Palace in the 1978 Youth Cup Final. Palace had a very strong team and we didn't play that well, but Ivor Linton was lightning, and it was hard to miss the blond lad up front. The Missus fancied him something rotten.

The last time I saw Gary (I'd always "just missed him" at Mr. Woodhall's fanzine station) was in the late 80s at Bodymoor. The teams were playing 5-a-side and Gary flickered and flared like a flame in the breeze. I thought he was back, but was told he couldn't hack it any more. Nevertheless, that's the strongest memory I had of him.

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #343 on: September 16, 2024, 03:42:18 PM »
My abiding memory of Gary was at an autograph signing session at the CO-OP superstore at Wilnecote with the European cup. He'd signed so many autographs by the time I got to him that he had a blister so he asked for a plaster, The CO-OP staff gave him one of the new-fangled (at the time) band-aids that you opened with a draw-string instead of the two-flap jobs. After trying and failing to open it I heard him mutter "I haven't got the 'O' levels for this thing!"  We fell about laughing. Thank you for the memories Gary. You will be missed and the world is a little sadder today :'(

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #344 on: September 16, 2024, 03:47:10 PM »
RIP Gary. What a player he was.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal