collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

The International Cricket Thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 04:56:21 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by johny
[Today at 02:49:57 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by dcdavecollett
[Today at 02:32:43 AM]

Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 02:00:53 AM]

Other Games - 2024/25 by Small Rodent
[Today at 01:01:20 AM]

Young Boys away by Pat McMahon
[Today at 12:39:57 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by paul_e
[Today at 12:13:03 AM]

Celebrity Fans. What's The Point? by adrenachrome
[September 07, 2024, 11:19:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc.  (Read 660134 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc.
« Reply #6090 on: July 27, 2024, 02:35:12 PM »
It’s not just like Coutinho. I was happy when Coutinho joined, but he was on the way down. Félix is a young player who has got a bit lost.

Where's the evidence Felix isnt on a similar decline? Like Coutinho, their big 100m or so moves bombed for various reasons, subsequent loans have been mixed at best too. Get Felix back to his best and you potentially have one of the best players in the PL but it's a huge gamble. Sometimes when a players spirit is broken it never really returns.
My sense of it is that Felix really wants to stay with Barca but with their finances it might go down to the last days of the transfer window, if they want it to happen.

Aye.

And he might view himself as a hostage of fortune somewhat.

Move to Villa because we’re the only club (at present) brave or daft enough to pay the fee.

But write in some sort of wanky clause enabling him to move to his first love for a cut price fee next year.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #6091 on: July 27, 2024, 02:39:24 PM »
Simeone is largely unhinged.  I wonder if the size of the transfer fee weighed heavily on a young lads shoulders.  Chelsea were in such a transition that Messi might have struggled.  We might be just the type of environment when he will thrive as the expectations will have dropped a bit.  No-one wants to be training on their own, so I hope we get the motivated and keen to do well Felix as I think this is going to happen.  Might take a bit of creativity around the contract and clauses in to protect Villa, but I'd like to see this done.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6092 on: July 27, 2024, 02:45:14 PM »
The thing that worries me is the 'if anyone can sort him out it's Emery' vibe. He doesn't seem to have sorted out Duran or Diaby.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #6093 on: July 27, 2024, 02:50:20 PM »
It isn't just the managers job though SE, it's the environment, the other players, the Captain, the expectations of the club.  I'm sure Duran is an arrogant fecker who thinks he's better than he is becuase he scored a few belters, but he's a better player now than when he signed and we are selling him for way, way more than we signed him for.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6094 on: July 27, 2024, 02:52:48 PM »
The thing that worries me is the 'if anyone can sort him out it's Emery' vibe. He doesn't seem to have sorted out Duran or Diaby.

They played a part in us finishing 4th and we'll a make tidy profit on both after 18 and 12 months. I'll take that from every signing.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6095 on: July 27, 2024, 03:03:16 PM »
Ultimately it's on the player how they do. They need both the talent and the right attitude. Both have the talent but Diaby is more interested in money than improving as a player, JD seems a bit barking, that's on them not the manager.

Offline villadelph

• | UTV | 215 |
  • GM : 20.05.2025
« Reply #6096 on: July 27, 2024, 03:09:42 PM »

When we paid 20m for Duran, we thought it was a lot of money for a relatively unknown young player. Then we broke our transfer record getting Diaby through the door. While neither were exceptional, Emery still increased their value and cut bait at the right time. On top of that, we’re getting crazy value offloading academy products.

It’s wizardry.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2024, 05:49:37 PM by villadelph »

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #6097 on: July 27, 2024, 03:17:18 PM »
I think it'd depend if that were the last 50m in our, err, war chest or kitty or not.

Again, it's not the risk he is not a very good player on his day that nags me, he is clearly a very talented boy.

The risk for me is how he, as a player who attracts tons of attention, and always seems a bit moody, would possibly impact our team ethic.

EDIT I am not against us signing him, I am just pointing out a few concerns.

Which is all fair enough, but all the possible problems (massive wages / gets loads of attention / possibly a bit self-involved / might cost a lot of money / will they fit into the team system) are problems which are going to apply to pretty much any huge player that we might try to sign.

So if we want be one of those teams that try to sign the best players in the world, it's stuff we're going to have to get on board with.

Online rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #6098 on: July 27, 2024, 03:19:27 PM »
If we get the price we want for Duran, and pay the price we want for Felix, we are essentially looking at a swap deal + 10-15 mill for a big upgrade with even more potential. Lots of unknowns and hypotheticals in amongst that, I know, but it does put a certain perspective on the deal.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2025
« Reply #6099 on: July 27, 2024, 03:33:29 PM »
I don’t think he failed at Barcelona. They just never really committed to him because they were massively skint at the time. He really wanted to go there but they couldn’t sign him permanently. Then Nico Williams came on the scene coupled with their own Lamal and they made a decision that’s what they want. They will give it all up to have those two in the same side and Felix just wasn’t in the picture.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #6100 on: July 27, 2024, 03:37:18 PM »
Well ok in the space of a day I've moved over to the sign him camp. Fuck it I'm fickle, it's a birthright.

In other news Sergi Roberto, 32, ex Barca captain is available on a free. Able to play across midfield or at right back. Could get him in to coach young Costa then flog Cash to Juve for another 35 mil.

Online VillaTim

« Reply #6101 on: July 27, 2024, 04:32:52 PM »
Duran wasn't an Emery signing. Lange had already done the deal, too late to be undone. If we can make a tidy profit on him no damage done .

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6102 on: July 27, 2024, 04:32:59 PM »
I don't think the fee is the issue. His wages will be ridiculous. I can see both sides of the argument though.

Ridiculous? I don't think his wages are the problem, at least by PL standards, he was reportedly going to cost Benfica €3m a year in wages (after tax) which seems ridiculously cheap but I'm sure with us he'll have a string of clauses to beef it up. Right now I doubt money is his motivator.

As for him being a moody twat, I think he's more of a gormless twat who never looks happy but happily we wouldn't be buying him for his looks.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 13.06.2025
« Reply #6103 on: July 27, 2024, 04:36:49 PM »

To be fair I'm not sure what kind of soothsayer could get Duran focused. Emery clearly had enough, as did the players if McGinn's comments are anything to go by. Very talented but he could be anything or nothing ala Balotelli. Diaby Im more disappointed with as I thought he could really kick on this season. Taking the Saudi money maybe shows where his priorities are. That's two talented players with a lot of potential we need to replace but Buendia is back and likes of Rogers, Ramsey etc hopefully fully fit too.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6104 on: July 27, 2024, 05:26:53 PM »
Watched a few videos of Felix. His touch looks incredible and he seems to pick up a lot of the ball with his back to goal, quite deep and usual toward the left. Bigger than I thought he was too. Knows how to beat a man and seems pretty lively over the first 10 yards, but was hacked down ore often than not in the bits I saw. Looks like he was the 2nd option up top for Benfica, which is where we'd play him as the Diaby replacement.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal